Repubblica Italiana

From the Territories 01 Nov 22

Municipality of Barone Canavese

We publish the statement by Alessio Bertinato, mayor of Barone Canavese, in Piedmont, where free hotspots have been activated and which joins the municipalities that have joined the WiFi Italia Project.

"The municipality has its historical roots in the Middle Ages: it is mentioned, for the first time, in documents dating back to the late 12th century. It was a fief of the Counts of Valperga, the richest and most powerful of the Canavese lineages. The lords of Barone also had jurisdiction over Vische and rights over Andrate, Settimo Vittone, and Brosso, while in the second half of the 13th century a member of their family was appointed bishop-count of Ivrea. In the 14th century the castle was destroyed by mercenaries in the pay of the Visconti of Milan.

Barone Castle constitutes some of the most important Baroque architecture in the Canavese area. It was designed by architect Costanzo Michela, who executed this project in 1772-1774, after leaving his collaboration with Juvarra on the Stupinigi Palace of Torino.